List of potential tax deductions for nurses
- Professional licenses.
- Malpractice insurance.
- Union dues and expenses.
- Professional organization dues and professional journal subscriptions.
- Cost of education required for your job.
- Cost of education to upgrade skills required in your current job.
- Protective clothing such as safety shoes, glasses, hard hats, etc.
- Tools, equipment and supplies necessary for your job.
- Job search expenses.
- Travel, transportation, meal and lodging expenses necessary for finding new employment.
- Moving expenses when necessary for business reasons.
- Cost of uniforms, special clothing or shoes required on the job.
- Upkeep expenses (including laundry, cleaning) for uniforms and work clothes.
- Child or dependent care (partially deductible).
- Home telephone bill expenses related to your job.
- Donations to non-profit charities.
- Closing costs when selling home and moving, for business related reasons.
- Tax return preparation fees from the previous year.
Hope this information was helpful! Ready to file your 2009 tax return? Visit www.taxreturnsfornurses.com on January 19. Build for nurses!